Cupcakes & Conversation with Bennet Gartside, First Soloist, The Royal Ballet

Cupcakes & Conversation with Bennet Gartside, First Soloist, The Royal Ballet

Bennet Gartside

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
That it’s a new week and that I’m in control of my own future. The decisions that I make will determine what may happen for both me and my wife’s future family and my career. A little deep I know!

Who would you most like to dance with ?
Actually I’ve been lucky to dance with some great names over my career, Sylvie Guillem. Darcey Bussell, Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo, Marianella Nunez, Sarah Wildor, but I think I might have to say my wife. She’s not a dancer – works in PR. At our wedding we did a Tango that was brilliant. I’ve never seen her so nervous in her life! I think because a lot of the guests were dancers, it really got her wound up. But I have dreams of what it could be like if…!

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
My daily routine always changes I guess. I’m a dancer, manage the ballet video archive, am doing an education course at work and continue to run a business at the same time. I’d get bored if I had a routine or didn’t have enough things to do. Maybe at retirement I could slow down, but not yet.

You can ask six famous people to dinner – who would you invite ?
I have a question each for my six people

George Bush – What the **** did you do?
Sir Fred Goodwin – What the **** have you done?
Gordon Brown – What the **** are you doing?
David Cameron – What the **** are you going to do?
Kanye West – You’re good, but what makes you think you’re “amazing” ?
Michael Jackson – Why?
Then I’d ask, “Who’s paying the bill?” Ultimately, we all know it’ll be the taxpayer!

What would surprise people about you ?
That I’m quite confrontational. Is that a good or a bad thing?

Bennet Gartside in Manon

Bennet Gartside in Manon

Who inspired you to dance ?
Not sure, but I know Michael Jackson inspired me to continue dancing. I knew every video inside out – that is scary! I think that helped a young northern boy in the playground who did ballet have a little credibility.

How would someone else describe you ?
I know my wife would describe me as a procrastinator! I think she’s right. But I’d like to think that people would describe me as a trustworthy friend.

What is your best piece of advice ?
Confront your problems yourself. Ask for advice from friends but you know what you need to do personally.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
Wow, I don’t think I could say one role overrides the rest. There have been a few roles that have been and still are challenging. As you grow, your views change, your body changes and your interpretation of the character changes. That’s why I still love it. 15th season in the Company and to be still able to say that. That’s what excites me.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
When I was a toddler in my pushchair, my mum took me to the local carnival. We were watching the floats go by when I put my hand up an old lady’s skirt! She turned around to immediately strike someone only to see my mum oblivious to this watching the carnival, and me looking up with a grin on my rosy-cheeked face.

If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
Something like an Ozwald Boateng suit. I envy the Opera company for their ability to wear such amazing costumes, all tailor made for them. I’m not much for one with these generic costumes that are seen of late. Call me old fashioned.

What are you most proud of ?
My wife for finding a job during the worst recession since World War II.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
Spud from ‘Trainspotting’. I think his name is Ewen Bremner. Can’t exactly say Jude Law can I?

What is your favourite quote?
“Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don’t know we don’t know.” Donald Rumsfeld (then Secretary of Defense).
I swear this guy was achingly dumb, but had this much power?

Do you have a secret skill which no one knows about ?
I’d like to say being a dab hand at DIY, but my wife will beg to differ. I think she doesn’t know how much time, thought and effort goes in to putting a shelf up, let alone two!

a tray of white and brown cupcakes

Primrose Bakery supports Ballet News

, ,

33 Responses to Cupcakes & Conversation with Bennet Gartside, First Soloist, The Royal Ballet

1. beedeebabee♥ November 14, 2009 at 10:50 am #

What an absolute Charm of a guy! The part I liked the most, was when he said the person he'd most like to dance with, is his wife! My heart just melted!…I hope she reads this!!!! Hugs, Paulette =D

2. mise November 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

Thanks for your comment! I like your blog's professionalism & focus.

3. Jorgelina November 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

Wonderful blog.My daughter makes dances, we loved music and the dance.Happy weekend.Hugs

4. Linda November 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

What an interesting and complex man.

5. claulovesfashion November 14, 2009 at 5:30 pm #

woO.. ur blog is wonderful… i made dance when i was younger!! =:-D FOLLOW MY BLOG! =;-) http://www.claulovesfashion.blogspot.com..muamua!!*

6. noomiedoodlesfashion November 14, 2009 at 6:32 pm #

i love how proud he is of his wife. funny man too.. great interview!!

7. daisychain November 14, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

Wow, he is a very interesting bloke,LOVED this interview.

8. Couture Cookie November 14, 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Certainly an interesting dinner table… I would like to see that!

9. Alicia @ boylerpf November 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

What a great interview and a down to earth guy! Totally enjoyed the read!

10. A VIntage Crafting Fashion Fairy November 15, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

Well I have just discovered your blog and have so far read the last three interview and everything in between. I really enjoyed your interview questions. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I was delighted to find a blog on ballet as it is one of my absolute passions. Although I only ever danced semi-professionally in my youth it is forever in my heart and something I considered as a profession on more than one occasion. I take my hat off to all those amazing artists who devote their lives to it. I look forward to further reading of what's going on in the ballet world.

11. Elise November 15, 2009 at 9:01 pm #

beedeebabee♥ – I'm sure she'll have read it before publication !mise – thank you for your kind words, it's always lovely to be appreciated ! I hope you continue to enjoy !Jorgelina – thank youLinda – I love it that my interviewees really get to grips with the questions and I can promise you a lot more interesting answers !claulovesfashion – thank you very muchnoomiedoodlesfashion – I know what you mean. As I wrote the interview I could see that comment would touch a lot of people. Who wouldn't love a husband who thought like that ?!daisychain – thank you !Couture Cookie – aren't they all though ? I agree though, this one could have fireworks too.Alicia @ boylerpf – thank you, that's lovely to hearA VIntage Crafting Fashion Fairy – well, a compliment indeed ! Thank you very much and you are most welcome.

12. Laura Trevey November 15, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Great interview!!Thanks for visiting BBB… check out my Watercolors blog to see my latest, "Sugar Plum Fairy"xo Laura

13. Beach Vintage November 16, 2009 at 12:25 am #

I only have one thing to say – I love men who can dance! Thanks for dropping by beach Vintage whilst I have been away ( oh, that was two things I had to say I guess)

14. A Life More Fabulous November 16, 2009 at 1:06 am #

What a lovely blog! I'm off to the ballet to see Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday, I can't wait. Seeing all these gorgeous photos has made me even more excited!

15. Andrea - Faded Plains November 16, 2009 at 2:55 am #

Great interview…love his answers.

16. gleenn November 16, 2009 at 10:52 am #

i do love your blog. whenever i come here for a visit, i always spend enough time to devour the latest interview. great!

17. Glowing Doll November 16, 2009 at 1:54 pm #

What a great interview! I love his off-duty look with the classic Vans slip-ons.

18. MelMel November 16, 2009 at 2:37 pm #

Hi there, I love this blog…cute guy!Thank you for the lovely comment!x

19. Janette November 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm #

Brilliant interview in my opinion….loved his response,especially about dancing with his wife….now thats love.x

20. Big City Bumpkin November 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm #

a very interesting interview

21. heartofpearl ♡ November 17, 2009 at 5:04 am #

Hi Elise, thank you so much for your sweeet sweet comment. So special coming from a journalist like yourself 😀 Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, your blog is beautiful! Although I have nothing to do with ballet, I love images of it and watching it! x

22. KarenHarveyCox November 17, 2009 at 5:20 am #

What a wonderful interview. I always admire the dedication of dancers. How lovely it must be to have a husband as a dancer and create magic on the dance floor at your wedding. Thanks for sharing this inspiring interview.Karen

23. Michelloui November 17, 2009 at 8:55 am #

Interesting interview–I love his adoration of his wife, so lovely to be like that! And really interesting reading his beliefs and dinner party choices. Cant say Id like to be at that dinner party but I still find it interesting reading!!

24. vicki archer November 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

The first answer is something to really remember…another great interview, xv.

25. Joyce November 18, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

A very nice interview. Thanks for sharing.xo

26. Elise November 18, 2009 at 8:26 pm #

Laura Trevey – thank youBeach Vintage – thank you for saying both of them !A Life More Fabulous – thank you very much; hope you enjoy SBAndrea – Faded Plains – thank you. It's always easy to do an interview where you get great answers like these !gleenn – that's lovely to hear, thank you !Glowing Doll – thank youMelMel – thank youJanette – very kind of you to say so, thank youBig City Bumpkin – thank you – I agree !heartofpearl ♡ – thank youKarenHarveyCox – thank you !Michelloui – thank youvicki archer – it certainly is ! thank youJoyce – thank you !

27. Rosemary November 18, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

That was interesting!!Thanks for the nice comments.Rosemary

28. Make Do Style November 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

What a live wire – love the questions and the attiutude, brilliant!

29. Sherrlyn Borkgren Photography November 19, 2009 at 8:46 am #

I'm glad to hear you are writing about the art of dance. I too am a journalist but mostly politics and politics. But my blog is something different.

30. Yarrow November 19, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Thank you for visiting me and leaving a comment. It's great to meet new bloggers and yours is amazing 🙂

31. AudreyAllure November 20, 2009 at 2:01 am #

haha i'd like to ask kanye the same thing lol

32. Elise November 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm #

Rosemary – thank you, glad you enjoyed itMake Do Style – thank you !Sherrlyn Borkgren Photography – welcome and thank you !Yarrow – thank you very much, very kind of you to say so.AudreyAllure – how funny !

33. Dancing Branflake June 5, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Great interview once again. And I love your title. He sounds so loving toward his wife. I can't believe they did a tango at their wedding! I would have freaked out and I'm a dancer myself!