Ballet News | photograph goes viral

Ballet News | photograph goes viral

A couple of weeks ago I posted this photograph to the Ballet News facebook page.

ballet dancers as sculptureNow, at the time I didn’t think it was more or less of an interesting image than any of the hundreds of other photographs that I’ve published on the Ballet News facebook page.  Oh, how I was wrong !

This photograph, apparently showing numerous dancers in the process of changing a single lightbulb, has notched up :

5479 likes

1696 shares

804 comments (of which 400 were deleted as they were not in English and no translation was provided – the Ballet News facebook page is in English)

As the photograph went viral, I struggled to keep up with the notifications thundering through from facebook every hour of the day. I’m still not sure what is so exceptional about this particular photograph – if you look at the Ballet News facebook page you’ll see hundreds of fabulous, interesting, varied photographs.  But this one has topped them all and seems to have been compelling viewing, capturing reader’s imagination all over the world.

As not everyone is on facebook, what do you make of this photo ?

Join Ballet News on facebook

11 Responses to Ballet News | photograph goes viral

1. Denise February 19, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I guess that photo just have this amazing ability to capture the attention of others,from the colour scheme to the dancers posing in various positions that some of us can only dream of. I think it is definitely way different than other dance photographs as you can see the effort put in to create the effects and appreciate it as well. (:

2. Madeleine February 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I LOVE this photo. I think it has something to do with the abstract positioning of someone changing a lightbulb. I mean, it has absolutely nothing to do with dance, so it has an element of humour. It’s an everyday job, done in such an interesting and different way, with BALLET DANCERS. How cool is that!!!????

3. Couture Carrie February 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Pretty amazing!

xoxox,
    CC

4. David February 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

I feel that it was so popular because it is combination of ballet and architecture.

5. Val February 20, 2012 at 12:32 am #

This photo is amazing! I can see why it has been so popular!

6. Daren February 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Uhm, two? The others are just set dressing. Actually, I don’t think the girl with the light bulb could actually reach the socket in the position she’s in. Nice photo though. Sorry for being a realist. 😉

7. Neil McGowan February 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

You deleted 400 messages… because they weren’t in English? Sheeeesh :((

8. Ballet News February 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Neil – yes, because I didn’t understand them, my Facebook page is clearly in English, I’ve asked people to leave a translation, and none was given. I can’t leave comments on the page that I don’t understand – they could say anything!

9. Haley February 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Cool, but it’s all Photoshopped.

10. Jim February 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

I like it. It’s funny! Face it. There’s not that much about ballet that is funny.

11. Robyn McIntyre February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

I think it relates ballet to everyday life, drawing the inevitable conclusions that dance does not belong to some rarefied stratus, but to everyone. It also speaks to the idea that art and life are integrated and not separated; even the smallest tasks can be made more beautiful through creativity and effort. It has a wonderful sense of humour; making a simple task into a big production. These ideas, put together with the excellent photography and staging, the beauty and skill of the dancers, combine to say “life is what we make of it.” It’s very nice.